While there are many benefits to rice, especially brown rice, it really shouldn’t be eaten in large quantities as it contains arsenic which, in high levels, is extremely toxic. The odd rice bowl here or there won’t do you harm, but lots of it consistently isn’t good as high levels of arsenic have been linked to cancer.
Some nuts such as almonds and cashews are a healthy snack and taste great. However, before they reach the supermarket shelves and our mouths, they are treated with heat and processed. This is essential, as the raw form of the nuts contain cyanide.
For many this fish, also known as fugu, is a delicacy, yet eating its liver, intestines and skin is poisonous as they contain tetrodotoxin. The flesh is perfectly safe to eat, but eating the other parts can cause tingling sensations, paralysis and even death.
While many of us like a little chili-padi on our food to give it a bit of a kick, the compound which causes the heat, capsaicin, is toxic. It has been known to cause burning sensations, inflammation, irritated skin, stomach aches and, on the rare occasion, death.
Mushrooms are certainly classed as a super food as they are nutritional powerhouses when it comes to all their goodness. However, there are some which are extremely toxic and can be deadly. It’s best not to pick and eat wild mushrooms unless you are 100 per cent sure that they are safe.
Potatoes, like rice, are a staple in many people’s diets and baked or boiled, they are very good for us. However, when they are left a little too long and have green patches or grown small roots, it’s best to avoid them. The green area is due to glycoalkaloid, which is poisonous. The leaves and roots are also toxic to humans.
7. Seeds and pips
While the most part of apples, cherries, and peaches, for example, are very good for us, their seeds and pips aren’t. Again, these contain cyanide and while you would have to eat large quantities of them to be significantly poisoned, if you chew on or swallow a high number you will get sick.
Now we don’t mean all oils here, just castor oil. However the castor oil that we buy has been treated and prepared so that it is edible and non-toxic. Still, the actual bean contains ricin that is particularly poisonous and consuming just one bean which hasn’t been carefully prepared will kill you.
9. Bread rolls
Many breads and rolls contain the ingredient potassium bromate which is carcinogenic. While most bromate turns to bromide and is harmless, those that remain in their original form are extremely bad for us and in studies have been known to cause tumors. Due to this it’s been banned in many countries.
10. UHT/ pasteurized milk
While it isn’t poisonous as such, the UHT stands for ‘ultra heat temperature’, and the milk has been heated to an extremely high temperature. This may sound harmless, but casein, the protein in it, changes form, making it impossible for the body to digest causing allergies, asthma, skin rashes and more. It also causes mucus to form in the lungs and intestines making it hard for nutrients to be absorbed.
This alcohol is not only hallucinogenic, but contains Wormwood which is a poison when mixed wrongly or taken in too large doses. Many places have banned it and some bars that sell it will (or should) stamp a person’s hand so they can keep track of how many have been drunk. Usually only two are allowed, mainly due to its hallucinogenic affects.
Source: xinmsn lifestyle